Mountain Activities Victoria
A need has been identified by the climbing community to establish a peak governing body for climbing and mountaineering activities in Victoria. Climbing is both a recreational activity as well as a competitive sport, however only the competitive sport has a governing body currently in Victoria. A Founding Council has been established with the objective of:
- Establishing a recreational governing body for climbing and mountaineering activities in Victoria through formalising an accountable governance relationship between existing clubs and climbing organisations including the state sporting association
As a participating climbing and mountaineering organisation of the Founding Council, the Victorian Climbing Club agrees to the following founding principles:
- We aim to implement the best practice governance principles adapted for the context of the new organisation with reference to the SportAus Sports Governance Principles.
- Climbing is a recreational activity and sport for everyone. Our organisation will aim to build and support an inclusive and diverse climbing community and include diverse perspectives and viewpoints in decision making.
- We aim to meaningfully engage and consult with the entire Victorian climbing community, both members and non-members in decision making.
- We recognise that climbing has environmental impact that must be mitigated. We are committed to building an organisation which strives to protect and conserve the beauty of our environment and by facilitating climbers spending time in nature, expanding our knowledge about nature to cultivate connection to the land.
- We aim to build cultural awareness and implement reconciliation activities for our organisation, members and the wider climbing community. We respectfully acknowledge the Traditional Owners across Victoria, their Elders past, present and emerging and their continuous connections to the lands where mountain activities occur.
The Victorian Climbing Club commits to contributing in good faith to the Founding Council to achieve the stated objective while adhering to the above founding principles through an agreed upon project plan.