VCC Learn2Lead Course – January 2023
Dyurrite/Mt Arapiles • 17 Jan 2023 — 22 Jan 2023
There are only two places left for this course. Please contact Michael as soon as possible if you’re interested.
The next VCC Learn2Lead Course has been organised to run for 6 days at Dyurrite/Mt Arapiles from Tuesday 17th January – Sunday 22nd January 2023. There are only FOUR places on this course. This course has been moved from February to January, with new dates.
The VCC offers this course exclusively to members. Take the next step. Learn to lead climb using natural protection, have fun and get home safely:
· Exclusive to VCC members
· 6 days qualified instruction
· All equipment, including trad gear, provided
· Only 4 participants are on the course.
Please read the VCC COVID-19 Safety Plan and VCC Advice to Participants on Club Trips, Courses and Activities before signing up for this Learn2Lead Course. The advice and guidelines have been published on our website:
VCC COVID-19 Safety Plan and resuming club activities – Victorian Climbing Club (vicclimb.org.au)
What you will learn:
· Lead climbing using natural protection
· Setting up belay stations and descending from the cliff
· Multi-pitch considerations
· Protecting the second.
Note: More details about what you will learn are listed below.
· You should be able to safely belay and second a lead climber outdoors
· You must be a current VCC member.
Total cost: $1040 per person, including GST.
Note: Parks Victoria Camping Fees at Mt Arapiles (currently $2:80 per person per night), Food and Transport are not included in this price.
The course is organised by the VCC and is run over 6 consecutive days by a qualified private provider. Trad climbing gear is provided for participants without their own rack. Note that all participants need to provide their own helmet and climbing boots.
Contact Michael O’Reilly, the VCC Trip Co-ordinator, as soon as possible to secure your place. (Email link at the end of this post.) There are only 4 places available on any Learn2Lead Course. Your place on the course will only be confirmed upon payment of a non-refundable and non-transferrable $440 deposit. The balance of the payment needs to be made at least 4 weeks prior to the start of the course.
Michael can also answer any questions that you may have about the course.
The following skills are explicitly covered during the course:
· Different equipment types, anchor types, care and basic usage (ropes, protection, bolts, pitons etc).
· How to place (and clean) natural protection
· How to appropriately and safely space the protection while leading
· How to avoid the ‘zipper affect’ when leading
· How to choose the length of draw or sling to use each piece of gear
· How to protect the lead climber when climbing above a ledge
· How to protect the second (eg traverses)
· Setting up anchors
· Equalising anchors, using both cordelette or the climbing rope(s)
· Setting up multidirectional belay anchors on multi-pitch climbs
· Threading fixed anchors and abseiling after climbing
· Setting up top-ropes
· Safe descent from routes.
Note: Photos are of participants from previous L2L Courses climbing while on their course. Yes, some of the images are of climbing in the Grampians!
Not sure if you’re novice, intermediate or advanced? Find your level or contact the trip leader.
You must be logged in to post a comment.